Fish-Flavored Baseball Bat

It's a John Cleese reference.

Monday, September 25, 2006

You Got Your Improv in My Comics!

One of the traditional lightning-round improv exercises is a routine called "Blankman's Daughter," which can be used either as a warm-up to the show or to finish it off. The format is simple: All the improvisers hurry to come up with quick gags to complete an old vaudeville-style joke:

"I knew she was a [occupation]'s daughter because [innuendo-filled punchline]."

(Because they're coming up with the gags off the top of their heads, the lame attempts are often funnier than the viable punchlines. A groan is as good as a laugh.) Actual examples that I can recall from past shows:

"I knew she was a bartender's daughter when she asked me for a stiff one."

"I knew she was a banker's daughter because she showed zero interest."
"I knew she was a flight attendant's daughter because she preferred the upright and locked position."

And my favorite, courtesy of Amber Nash:

"I knew she was a ninja's daughter because I never saw her coming."

Where am I going with this, you ask? Well, I just thought it would be fun to apply this formula to various comics characters, and to open it up to suggestions from all of you. (Yes, this is a blatant attempt to generate a meme of my own, after participating in so many others.)

In the interest of fairness, you can phrase your suggestions as either "I knew she was a [blank]'s daughter..." or "I knew he was a [blank]'s son..."

To start the ball rolling, I'll go with the ever-popular Green Lantern Corps.

"I knew she was a Green Lantern's daughter when she said 'No fear.'"

"I knew she was a Green Lantern's daughter because she made me recite an oath before going into action."

"I knew she was a Green Lantern's daughter because she kept calling out 'Oa! Oa! Oa!'"


I'd love to read some other variations on this gag, either continuing the Green Lantern set-up or using one of your own favorite (or most hated) characters.

1 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Here's one for the old-school fans:

"I knew she was the Joker's Daughter because Harvey Dent was her father."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home