Fish-Flavored Baseball Bat

It's a John Cleese reference.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

The Stuff of Dreams

Just a quick little list: Artists Whom I'd Love to See on a Batman Story. (Some of them may very well have drawn Batman, though I can't recall seeing it.)

David Lloyd (a single panel in Wasteland is not enough).
Richard Sala.
Mike Ploog.
Charles Burns.
Scott McCloud (in a Silver Age, Dick Sprangish sort of way).
Jim Baikie.
John Severin.
William Messner-Loebs (I'd love to see an Eisnerish Batman story from him...of course, I'd love to see him getting more work, period).

Plus, some artists who are no longer with us, but who SHOULD have drawn Batman at some point (if they didn't do so already):

Will Eisner (obviously).
Jack Kirby (perhaps even more obviously).
Graham Ingels (I can understand why he put comics behind him completely, but wouldn't this have been amazing?)
Johnny Craig.
Pat Boyette.
Stan Drake.
Bruno Premiani.
Joe Maneely.
Bill Everett.
Basil Wolverton.

In fact, I'll end the list there, because nothing can top the mind-blowing concept of a Basil Wolverton Batman story.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great list. I can't really think of anyone to add to that (and who hasn't already appeared in BLACK AND WHITE), except Spain (see comment in previous post). Maybe a couple of 2000AD guys who haven't yet, like Mike McMahon or Carlos Ezquerra; they're nice and gritty...

Bruno Premiani: did Batman actually appear at the wedding of Mento and Elasti-Girl? I own the comic but I can't remember if he actually appeared in it or not (I just remember Batman _saying_ he did in that Swamp Thing issue) But, yes, a full story would have been wonderful...

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. Duh: CHESTER GOULD!!

 
At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how great a Mike Ploog Batman would be...

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Erich said...

And the list of great coulda-been Batman artists continues: Milton Caniff, Hugo Pratt, Tom Sutton...

Did Ditko ever draw Batman? I know he drew a few Man-Bat stories, but I'm not sure if he ever tackled the big guy himself...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home