Fish-Flavored Baseball Bat

It's a John Cleese reference.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Stuff of Nightmares

I've really been remiss with regards to posting, so I'll just share a quick thought that came to me the other day. It occurred to me that Richard Corben has illustrated a surprising number of mainstream super-hero characters recently (albeit mostly in out-of-continuity versions): Luke Cage, Hulk, Punisher, Ghost Rider...that got me thinking about the possibility of other underground comix artists doing superhero books. (Actually, I'm not sure whether Corben is properly considered an "underground" artist...he always seemed to me to tread that middle ground between the two worlds.)

Imagine a Batman story by S. Clay Wilson. Now that's good old-fashioned nightmare fuel!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There were always sort of two schools of undergrounders: those who were EC-influenced, and those who weren't. Guys like Crumb and Bill Griffith were pretty vocally against taking on genre material, and, honestly, I can't imagine what it would look like if they did. Probably not too good.

But a lot of the other crowd would fit right in. Spain, in particular would be great. He loves the horror and adventure genres and is even an avowed Kirby/Steranko fan. I could imagine him doing The Punisher in the politicized vein that Garth Ennis has moved him towards a la "The End" (with Corben)

Jaxon was a big REH-Conan fan, and was supposedly going to do a story for Savage Sword with Roy Thomas in the 70s, but it fell through.

What else? Um... Gilbert Shelton on Plastic Man? I dunno...

--Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home