Fish-Flavored Baseball Bat

It's a John Cleese reference.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

This Weekend: An Embarrassment of Riches

Well, the Labor Day weekend is approaching, and with it, more stuff to do than can possibly be crammed into a few days. Of course, the big thing this weekend is Dragon*Con. I'm looking forward to that immensely, and hoping to get a few sketches from the various guests. I'm particularly hoping to get a V sketch from David Lloyd in my musical sketchbook, captioned with the "Remember, remember the 5th of November" verse. (It may not be an actual song, but I'm not going to split hairs over a thing like that if it gets in the way of a drawing of V.) I also really want to get a sketch from Peter Bagge, of whatever he feels like drawing. (I've pretty much given up on ever getting an Adam Hughes sketch again, as his list fills up immediately even when he IS doing sketches, but just in case, there are a few ideas I'm keeping in mind for him...)





And on top of Dragon*Con, Dad's Garage is having their annual World Domination TheatreSports Improv Tournament, bringing in improv troupes from all around the world (or, this year, from North America). This year's teams include the ever-awesome Iron Cobra from Toronto (and elsewhere), Edmondton's Rapid Fire Theatre, General Fools (from Regina, Saskatchewan), Portland's Brody Theater, and Team Los Angeles (including Dad's Garage alumni Joseph Limbaugh and Tara Ochs). And on top of all that improv goodness, this year's tournament has quite possibly the most disturbing promo image ever:


And yet there's even more going on this weekend! There's also the Drive-InVasion at the Starlight Six Drive-In, featuring a great assortment of bands and a marathon of fun B-movies. Sadly, I think I'm going to have to skip the Drive-InVasion this year...I've tried going back and forth between the three events in past years, and I just spread myself too thin. Besides, while past Drive-InVasion shows have included guests from the featured movies (Jack Hill, Sid Haig, Mary Woronov, Repo Man's Susan Barnes, and coolest of all, the Faster, Pussycat! trio of Tura Satana, Lori Williams, and Haji), there don't appear to be any movie guests listed this year. So, that makes my decision a little bit easier (much as I still hate to pass up a chance to see The Woggles perform...)



Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger maryk said...

holy shit. i think i'll be at dragon con at the squidbillies/aqua teen thing on sunday.

i may sign some autographs. if anyone wants any from me, that is.

also, unknown hinson (stuart daniel baker) from squids will be there, and coincidentally, looks like you'll miss him at drive-invasion. have you seen him perform? he puts on one awesome awesome show. but considering the size of the starlight, maybe a cozier venue is better for a good performance viewing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home